Friday, November 9, 2018

Mr. Lonely 11/9/2018

Good Morning,

Happy Friday to all who read this. May your java taste as good as my Door County Highlander Grog Coffee.



Last night while attending a funeral I could not help but notice a man who sat in the back of the chapel when the eulogy was given. He sat with no one and said nothing to anyone. You could tell he was grieving, yet he interacted with no one. The man just seemed like he did not belong.

After the eulogy I stood near the door to talk to some friends and I went out of my way to say hello to this man and wish him safe travels. He avoided speaking with anyone and did not acknowledge my "good night". I took into consideration that he was grieving, but what I saw him miss was the comfort others were receiving by just chatting and giving each other some support.

We all grieve in different ways. We all live differently and it is not my place to judge this man. He just seemed lonely and for whatever reason did not want to associate with others. I wasn't the only one who noticed this. Others approached him to say hello and introduce themselves. He shunned every attempt.

I can only imagine what it must be like to not talk with people for whatever reason. To me the loneliness would seem like a weight around my heart. I did notice that after being rejected by this man, the outgoing people who tried to include him walked away.

We have to be careful.  When we need time alone it should not cause  us to withdraw from being friendly. People only reach out so long before they grow tired of rejection. If you find yourself feeling lonely ask yourself if you are perceived as being friendly. Friendly people seem not to be lonely. In many cases we are as lonely as we choose to be. Can you be friendly without expecting anything for being friendly? Can you be a friend? If not, why not?

Proverbs 18:24 New King James Version (NKJV)

24 A man who has friends [a]must himself be friendly,

So reach out to someone who needs a friend. If you need a friend, reach out by being friendly. It is a give and take solution.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment