Wednesday, November 28, 2018

God Doesn't Need Gimmicks 11/28/2018

Good Morning,

I just sat down to write and next to me is a steaming cup of Door County Dublin's Delight Coffee. On top of my feet is a very warm English Springer Spaniel. Life is good.



I want to say that as I study more of God, I see what I need is more of God and less of the gimmicks the world churches offer today. I enjoy a great cup of coffee, but I don't need it in church next to me when I want to worship God. There are so many gimmicks these days being used to sell people on the idea of God and church membership. Let's take church membership out of the equation and concentrate on God this morning. A God who hates sin yet devotes all He does to save sinners from eternal death is more than enough to attract people to Him which causes people to want more of a church that preaches God.

I have a couple of quotes that I would like to share.
"Our nation is so hardened. The biggest culprits are the preachers, wicked, evil-doers in sheep’s clothing. The pastor of one of the biggest Baptist churches here in town was to kiss a pig if so many young people came to the meeting last month. It was an insult to the pig and to God."
Bob Jennings, A letter written in 1998

"I have given God countless reasons not to love me. None of them has been strong enough to change Him."


Paul Washer, Twitter, 31 Jul 2013

God stands on His own awesomeness. He will not change and we cannot change Him. That alone is enough for every knee to bow in His honor. God was not created. He is the Creator of all things. He alone has the plan for our eternal life and forgiveness of our sins.  

Isaiah 45:5-6 New International Version (NIV)
I am the Lord, and there is no other;
    apart from me there is no God.I will strengthen you,
    though you have not acknowledged me,so that from the rising of the sun
    to the place of its settingpeople may know there is none besides me.
    I am the Lord, and there is no other.

God doesn't need our gimmicks, what He desires is our devotion to Him. When we wonder why people visit a church and do not come back, it is easy to see why. The gimmicks did not work. They did not hear or see enough of God in the church or in the people who are there. Fellowships and get togethers are great if they are just that. Yes they should take on Christian attributes, but we must preach Jesus which leads people to the Father. We must allow the Holy Spirit to convict people of the need to repent and seek the Savior. I could go on and on but there would be volumes of my writings .

I close by saying this. Give me God, nothing else will do 

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment