Saturday, November 17, 2018

Finding True Happiness 11/17/2018

Good Morning,

I wish that some of you were here to share my morning with me. It is lightly snowing outside. There is a fire crackling in the fireplace. Our dog is sound asleep next to me and my cup is filled with Door County Cherry Creme Coffee. Rene is still asleep and she won't stir, for another hour or so. There is always peace in a morning like this. I have studying to do after writing to all of you, of whom I thank God for daily and pray for you often.



Proverbs 16:20 New King James Version (NKJV)

20 He who heeds the word wisely will find good,
And whoever trusts in the Lord, happy is he.


Is true happiness always related to possessions? Do automobiles last forever? Do homes always hold fast against the weather or natural disasters. What you enjoyed doing while you were younger, is it easy to do when you can't walk as well?  These things are different for every person. This last week beautiful homes in California were eaten by the flames of wildfires. These were huge losses to the owners. Yet while being interviewed on television the owners were glad just to be alive. There was a huge loss of life caused by the fire and surviving outweighed the loss of property and valuables.

Earlier in my week I pretty much had to examine myself and my attitude and found that I had lost my way on God's journey for me. I was extremely unhappy with events and my own thoughts and actions. I discovered the root of my unhappiness was my own approach to my relationship with God. The effect on my life by not trusting in Him and straying away from His Word left me void of hope, happiness, and guidance. It was like living in a vacuum which when opened sucked in all of what I would not want to experience or live like.

In Psalm 16:20 we find the key to true happiness. To trust in the Lord, leads to obedience of His Word. Obedience leads to peace and peace despite circumstances leads to happiness.

There is one last key to happiness. And that key is learning to be content. Contentment is found by trusting in God and being obedient. This all just goes full circle and lets us know that without God, there is no happiness.

Philippians 4:11-12 English Standard Version (ESV)

11 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.


1 Timothy 6:6-8 New King James Version (NKJV)

Now godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content.

I often share thoughts like these which come from my own experiences. This is often done to help you avoid the mistakes I make, or to just help you turn a corner in the right direction. If you need to heed this advice, do so quickly. If you do not need it, but know someone who does, pass it on. For whatever the reason you were reading this today, use it as a tool if needed or pass it on to someone else. But the key to all happiness comes from that relationship of obedience and love for God. It is so simple.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment