Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Paying Bills, Not A Chore I like 2/13/2018

Good Morning,

This day started a long time ago, or at least it seems that way. My cup of Door County Irish Crème Coffee is already cold and needs to be warmed up. It might just be that kind of day.



Last night I sat down and finished paying the last of the bills from my Dad's estate and it was a chore that is bitter sweet. The estate is almost closed now and the we have just a few more steps to go until finished. Our dad always took pride in paying any bills on time and the duty in his passing fell to me to close it out. In the year and a half since I took over every bill was paid on time just as if Dad were doing it. Actually Rene and I always do the same thing and take great care to pay bills off and on time. We have been blessed to be able to do so.

I hope you do not think we are bragging. My dad set up a tradition of having your word represent your credit. There were times that he and my mother went without things in order to pay their bills. They did not make impulsive purchases and then worry as to how they would pay for it later. The credit statement says a lot about a person and their reputation. Yes people fall on bad times and I have been there. Most creditors are willing to make payment arrangements as long as you hold to them. I had some bills a long time ago and right when I was getting ahead my employer closed the doors. I found myself paying a doctors bill by sending five dollars a month until I could send more. The doctor sent me a thank you note a year later when the bill was paid off thanking me for my payments.

So as I wrote the last of those checks last night I knew I was carrying on an old family tradition that was worth keeping.

Ecclesiastes 5:5 English Standard Version (ESV)
It is better that you should not vow than that you should vow and not pay.

When we make a vow to pay our debts, God sees that vow and we forget that he does when we default on the payments.

Remember Who we represent.

God bless,

Marty





1 comment: